TIPS TO PREVENT IRRITATION FROM SHAVING
Nothing feels better than baby-smooth skin, but often in our valiant attempts to get a close shave, we can end up with pesky razor bumps. Nobody wants to feel the [razor] burn! Here are some pointers on how to shave with good technique and reduce the chance of that dreaded irritation:
Before you shave
- Consider regularly exfoliating the skin to remove dead skin cells- this will give you a smoother, healthier place to start!
- Wet the skin to be shaved in the shower or bathtub. You have the best chance of zero irritation when skin is clean, wet, and warm.
Shaving with proper technique
- Apply a gentle shaving gel such as our Skin Wise Organics Soothing Shave Gel or a cream product to the area to prevent irritation.
- Shave in the direction the hair grows. It can be so tempting to go against the grain for a closer shave, but it increases your chance for skin irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles – and that will cause those unsightly bumps!
- Don’t pull the skin taught- this too will increase the chance of irritation and even accidentally cutting your skin.
- Use light and short strokes, avoiding shaving too quickly or going over a single area too many times.
- Rinse your razor after each stroke to remove the clogged buildup of hair, soap, or shaving product.
After you shave
- Rinse your skin with cool water or apply a cold washcloth to reduce the chance of irritation.
- Apply a moisturizer such as our Skin Wise Organics Calming Body Lotion (formulated with aloe and vitamin E) to provide protection for your skin barrier.
- Store your razor in a dry area, and change out for a new razor on a frequent basis.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing that will rub on newly shaved skin.
Still having trouble?
- Consider switching to an electric razor for a more controlled shave.
- Reduce your frequency of shaves.