WHY FULL BODY SKIN EXAMS ARE CRUCIAL
Routine skin examinations are for everybody- and we mean everybody- not just people with many moles or a family history of skin cancer. Everyone, regardless of skin type or tone, can benefit from an annual full body skin check by a board-certified dermatologist. Why get a full skin check? Here are just a few reasons:
- Skin cancer surveillance: This is the #1 reason to get regular skin checks! Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. One out of every 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by age 70. The good news is, when detected early, skin cancer is highly treatable! Your dermatology provider can identify abnormal looking spots you may not be able to get a good look at, like the back, and they can also address any concerns about spots that have been worrying you.
- Identifying skin conditions: Skin checks are not just for skin cancer detection! Our skin is an amazing and complicated organ, and if new problems arise, it can have a major impact on quality of life. Having a full body skin exam is a good check-in point with your dermatology provider to identify and manage any chronic skin conditions you may be dealing with, like eczema, acne, rosacea, or psoriasis. You also may have certain spots that may not be cancerous, but they either have the potential to become cancerous down the road or may be symptomatically bothersome to you (itchy, bleeding, catching on clothing)- these spots can be addressed at your visit, too! Your dermatology provider can create a practical treatment plan with you to manage any of these skin care needs. Learn more about North Metro Dermatology’s Mole Mapping processes here!
- Maintain excellent skin care: Don’t you love when something is tailored just for you? Dermatology providers can recommend curated treatments to help maintain the overall health and appearance of your skin. They can provide honest, sound advice regarding various cosmetic treatments, anti-aging products, and tailored skin care routines. They can also give recommendations about protecting your skin from excessive sun exposure to help prevent not only skin cancer, but also signs of premature aging of the skin. To get dermatologist designed skin care products, check out Skin Wise Organics
So, what can you expect at a full body skin check?
- At your appointment, you will review any skin concerns you want to discuss with the dermatology provider. You will then have time to change into a medical gown before the dermatology provider comes into the exam room.
- Once you’re ready, the dermatology provider will take a professional, thorough look head-to-toe.
- If a suspicious spot is found during the examination, the dermatologist will remove all or part of it at that visit with a small procedure called a skin biopsy.
- That sample is sent to a dermatopathologist, who will look at it under a microscope in order to determine if there are any skin cancer cells or other abnormal findings. The dermatopathologist will send a report to your dermatology provider who will inform you of the results, usually 7-10 days after your full body skin exam.
- If you have other skin concerns, like acne, rosacea, eczema, or psoriasis, your dermatology provider will be able to address those diagnoses with you and come up with a treatment plan. They may recommend focused follow up visits sooner than 1 year to go over specific concerns.
Routine skin examinations are essential for early skin cancer detection and management, caring for long-term skin conditions, and maintaining the overall health and appearance of your skin. Our dermatology team is passionate about helping your skin to be at its best. Schedule an appointment with one of our board-certified dermatologists for a full body skin exam today. We would be delighted to be part of your care team!